Sara’s Loaves of Wonder
I could have sworn I’d posted this on here before… this is a super-easy recipe for any kind of loaf – apple, carrot, zucchini (maybe others, but that’s what we’ve tried it with).
Optional Add-ins: For zucchini, Sara adds chocolate chips; she uses walnuts instead for apple loaf. Right now, I’m baking the carrot version and I suppose you could add walnuts or raisins, but why mess with perfection???
However: you’ll have to promise not to scream at the quantity of sugar. Sara mentioned she cuts it to about 400g; you could probably bring it down lower, and maybe healthy this up a bit by subbing some of the oil with applesauce.
Here’s my scalable spreadsheet version!
And here’s the text version:
Sara’s (pareve) Loaves of Wonder
MAKES 2 generous loaf pan-sized loaves.
- 3 eggs
- 224g vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 462g brown sugar
- 5g vanilla
- 475g all-purpose flour (I used cake flour today because I happened to have some sitting around still from Shavuos)
- 1.5g baking powder (yes, I know that’s not very much!)
- 7g baking soda (ditto)
- 3.5g salt
- 15g cinnamon (I know this is TOO much; I have never had the nerve to take it up past 10g)
- 500g grated carrots, zucchini or apple
- 125g pareve chocolate chips, if desired
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl, wet in another,
- Combine the two without overmixing (I use my dough whisk – perfect!)
- Pour into prepared pans,
- *** (see note after instruction) Bake at 355 for about an hour *** NOTE: CHECK FOR DONENESS AFTER 45 MINUTES – I think my pans are smaller than Sara’s and this seems to bake much quicker)
- (optional: rotate pans during bake time to ensure even baking)
- Cool, (ice with pareve cream cheese frosting if carrot cake!), serve, enjoy!
Will post pics when they’re out of the oven.
Post a Comment
Okay, guys... I'm turning moderation OFF on all my blogs. I will be patrolling for spam, so play nice!