How hangry do you and your kids get in the morning? (Or afternoon, depending on how late you've slept in and/or procrastinated.)
Around here, the answer is... VERY.
These quick, easy, eggy muffins are exactly what you need: the cure for Hangry. Shh… don’t tell anybody: they’re basically little mini-quiches, just without a crust.
These are sometimes called "scrambled egg muffins." But on most sites, you'll find them chock-full of some type of meat that just won't work in a kosher kitchen. Pork, ham and bacon are all super-popular at breakfast time, apparently.
Even if you could use some kosher kind of meat, you'd miss out on all the cheesy goodness of these delighful, bite-sized breakfast treats. So why bother? Just toss in lots of veggies and you'll never miss the bacon, I promise.
Make your life super-easy and prepare these in reusable silicone muffin cups.
I didn’t used to like the idea of these, but after a few times of using them for candy and other baked things, I’m sold. Plus, they’re colourful, cute, and keep your hands from getting greasy. (They’re sometimes a little tricky to wash after baking things with flour, like muffins, because of all the creases.)
Easy Cheesey Eggy Mini-Muffins
What you’ll need:
- Veggies you like (I used one red pepper, onion, and four chunks of storebought frozen spinach, which I didn’t bother thawing ahead of time)
- 6 eggs
- 4 large slices cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp. oil for frying.
- Spray oil
How to make them:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (just under 200, here in Israel).
- Add oil to skillet or frying pan.
- Add veggies and stir over low-medium heat until just slightly softened.
- Meanwhile, crack eggs into a large bowl and beat with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a measuring cup and add milk to make 2 cups.
- Arrange silicone muffin cups (or paper muffin cups, or skip the muffin cups altogether) in a muffin pan.
- Spray generously with oil.
- Divide veggies from skillet equally among muffin cups.
- Break cheddar cheese into small chunks, dividing equally among muffin cups.
- Stir egg mixture in measuring cup well and pour equal amounts into muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until puffed and top is firm and starting to brown. Knife inserted in centre should come out clean (or slightly cheesy).
- Peel, eat and enjoy!