… then have bread on TOP of your regular supper!!!
In this case, chili, with cornbread on top. Always a hit, but this could easily be made with this quick n’ easy beer bread instead.
The chili around here is usually pareve, so I used milk in the cornbread; if the chili had meat, you could just use water – if I’m using tinned corn, I’ll save the corn water and use that – or some pareve kind of milk, but I don’t adore pareve milks in baking.
Use any chili you want: homemade, storebought, whatever – just make sure it’s very moist, or you’ll be gasping for liquids as you eat it, because the cornbread sucks up some of the liquid, while baking evaporates some. Lose-lose, so start with a very wet chili.
The cornbread on top is adapted from the Joy of Cooking, and I usually double it, because we love it like crazy and one batch just isn’t enough:
(April 22/13, made this again today and realized it doesn’t have salt in it; the original recipe may have omitted it, but I recommend a tsp of salt)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Pour prepared chili into a 9x13 pan – make sure there’s enough room on top for the cornbread mixture. Put a baking sheet underneath if you think it might overflow. Ask me how I know this! (see pic above – there is NO room; I had to divide this chili into 2 tinfoil pans)
- Combine dry ingredients well in a bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients well in a measuring cup.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients.
- Stir gently ONLY until combined – not a second longer. I use a rubber spatula for this step so as not to overmix.
- “Plop” cornbread mixture hither and thither, in evenly spaced blobs, all over the chili. Don’t worry if it starts to sink a bit; it will rise during baking.
- Bake at 425° until cornbread is brown, about 20-25 minutes.
In case you’re curious, here’s a rough breakdown of the chili itself, because it’s very easy:
- 2 tins of kidney beans, drained and rinsed (hint: open upside-down; they’re easier to drain that way)
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (we use Ortega)
- 1 big purple onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cubed
- red pepper, diced, if desired
- Garlic, as much as you can stand
- Tinned or frozen corn, ditto
- Any other veg you want to include
- Tofu, TVP, whatever you want to boost the protein / texture
- Tin Cream of Tomato soup, or not, whatever you want
- In a large pot, fry onion in oil.
- Add carrots, fry till slightly softened.
- Add red pepper, ditto.
- Add kidney beans, ditto.
- Add garlic and mix well.
- Add taco seasoning and mix well.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add 1-2 cups of water, as desired
- Add frozen or tinned corn.
- Add Cream of Tomato soup, if using.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, until flavours are well-combined. Add chili powder, cumin, cilantro, or anything else to add authenticity, or just leave it the way it is if you’re feeding little kids.
- Serve on its own, with cornbread – or, better still, with cornbread ON TOP!!!